Monday, December 21, 2015

Opening Races to Home for the Holidays

Photo by Amber Dodge

After a successful weekend at the opening Eastern Cup races in Craftsbury Vermont, with the Maine Winter Sports Center. I have somehow managed to make it back to New Hampshire to spend my first Christmas with the family in quite some time. (It will be an interesting holiday for sure) 
Our escapade to Vermont from Fort Kent began early Friday morning, and was met with a variety of adventure.  A flat tire shortly after we left took some (a lot) of time out of our schedule, but made for an interesting adventure in the chaos of attempting to get a new tire early on a Friday morning in the County. 
 This of course calls for a huge thank you to everyone who helped us get our tire changed, and for helping to support the MWSC on our travels to races!
Once we made it to Vermont despite low snow conditions we were able to have an awesome race weekend. 
Thanks to Hannah S. for getting this picture from Saturdays quarter final races
Saturdays race was a sprint; during the qualifying race I just barely managed to squeak into the quarter final rounds in 16th (they where only taken top 16 for the quarter finals unlike the usual top 30 due to limited snow coverage.) I went out a little to fast for my quarter final and just missed making the semi's. But in the end I'm quite happy with how my first sprint race of the season went overall. 
Photo by Amber Dodge
Sundays race was a 5 km, 5 lap race. The Craftsbury Outdoor center did an amazing job of creating a 1 km loop of man made snow. Doing five loops was though at first daunting and dizzying appearing, turned out to be a lot of fun and very spectator friendly. This made the race a lot of fun, and exciting. Throughout the race I felt very comfortable and confident about my skiing; at the end of the day I was happy to discover that my skiing had secured another top 20 for myself during this race weekend! As I placed 12th overall for Saturdays sprint, and 18th in Sundays 5 km.

Photo by Hannah S.
Overall I am very pleased with these opening races and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season. From Vermont I continued back over into New Hampshire for the Christmas holidays and to have some family time until the next string of races! With that I leave you, wishing you all Happy Holidays and  A Happy New Year! 

3 comments:

  1. Good jobs on your placements! Sounds like you had a blast...including the flat tire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We want to say thnx to you 4 creating this cool weblog and keep going the good work!
    roller skis

    ReplyDelete